Bay Pines VA Healthcare System
Our Vision for 5-Star Excellence
The Bay Pines VA Healthcare System (BPVAHCS) is working in a rapidly changing healthcare environment. While the national healthcare industry is struggling with the transition from fee-for-service to value-based care, the VA is also transitioning from its legacy programs and legislation to better meet Veteran, and stakeholder, expectations. Through various listening posts and with the input of a multidisciplinary team of staff, BPVAHCS has developed a five-year strategic plan to lead our transformation at the local level, within the Central Florida market. This strategic plan guides business strategies and decisions with a focus on four strategic objectives in which the healthcare system will invest time and resources.
The term "Core competencies" refers to the BPVAHCS’s areas of greatest expertise. The core competencies are those strategically important capabilities that are central to fulfilling the mission and providing an advantage in the marketplace. Core competencies are frequently challenging for competitors or suppliers and partners to imitate, and they may provide a sustainable competitive advantage. The BPVAHCS’s core competencies are:
- Provision of comprehensive, coordinated care across the continuum - Veterans and their families can count on the BPVAHCS to deliver high quality, comprehensive, coordinated and continuous care that is tailored to meet the unique needs of America' heroes.
- Providing for the unique needs of the Veteran - The BPVAHCS is the healthcare provider of choice for Veterans residing across Southwest Florida. As Veterans are presented with new healthcare options, we must continue to improve the quality of care we deliver while promoting health, preventing disease and advancing the cure. We will accomplish this through people, our facilities and our services.
Key Business Drivers
The term "key business drivers" refer to critical components, factors or focus areas required to achieve the BPVAHCS’s strategic objectives listed in the next section. Moreover, the key business drivers are a framework for decision making when committing time or resources. Key business drivers guide the healthcare system towards organizational excellence and achieving strategic goals. The BPVAHCS’s key business drivers are:
- Quality:Our goal is to drive health, prevent disease, and advance the cure. We are committed toproviding timely access to healthcare services for the Veterans we serve across southwest Florida and recognize timely, high quality care is essential to positive outcomes. We will continue to monitor the quality of care delivered while taking appropriate steps to ensure Veterans have access to services where and when they want to receive those services.
- Access:We work to enhance timely access to the healthcare system at every touchpoint, whether it is clinical or administrative.
- Customer Experience: We will exceed customer expectations with every interaction. Veterans and their families expect us to deliver the highest standards of excellence in customer service and customer experience at every touch point. Our staff and volunteers can expect to receive the resources necessary to make this experience happen.
- Employee Engagement: We must empower each staff member to realize their value andsignificance to the organization; or guide employees to make transformative and meaningful change that benefit the Veteran. We recognize that all of our employees, regardless of their level or role, are vital to shaping the Veteran experience and communicating their commitment to providing America’s Veterans with high quality healthcare services that are personalized, proactive and patient driven.
- Operational Efficiency: We provide value-based healthcare services to Veterans through excellent business practices. We must take active steps to streamline and improve programs in order to maximize resources.
The BPVAHCS Strategic Plan comprises four objectives – critical areas of focus for the success and sustainability of the institution. The strategic priorities and overall structure of the plan were developed during an 18-month process led by a diverse, multidisciplinary team representing the healthcare system’s executive leadership team and clinical and administrative services throughout the organization.
- BE A 5-STAR ORGANIZATION - We are committed to becoming a 5-star organization in healthcare quality and customer service. To get there, we must continue to partner with Veterans to provide the very best personalized, proactive, patient-driven care while honoring their service and empowering health. We want to change the dynamic so we can provide health care based on their needs, values, and how the Veteran wants to live, not only for preventing illness, but also for managing chronic disease and providing acute and end-of-life care.
- TRANFORM THE DELIVERY OF CARE - Partnering with patients and providing proactive, personalized and patient-driven health care is a priority in the healthcare industry. It is what health providers need to do in order to stay relevant to patients, create better patient relationships and long term outcomes, and provide timely care at lower costs. As Veterans are presented with new healthcare options, we must transform our delivery of care to ensure we are able to provide for tomorrow’s Veterans through research and education today.
- EVERY EMPLOYEE IS ACTIVELY ENGAGED - Every employee has a role in a Veteran’s healthcare experience and that experience has an impact on their wellness and well-being. As such, leaders across the healthcare system must identify ways to effectively engage employees, help them understand their roles, and incentivize them to deliver the care and services Veterans expect and deserve. Every employee has the opportunity to shape their environment and Veteran experience within the BPVAHCS. Leaders across the healthcare system must assist and advocate for this transformation.
- BE A HIGHLY RELIABLE SYSTEM - We must continue our focus on building a highly reliable system and high performing network that Veterans trust. We will do this by recruiting and hiring the best and brightest clinical and administrative professionals to fill our ranks, maximizing organizational assets and optimizing business systems to more effectively measure standards of medical practice to improve healthcare delivery.