Bay Pines VA Healthcare System
Call for Entries for the 2019 VA Creative Arts Completion
December 28, 2018
Bay Pines, Fla. – All talented Veterans receiving care at VA medical facilities or VA outpatient clinics are encouraged to participate in the annual Creative Arts Competition that will be held on Thursday, February 14, 2019 in the J.C. Cobb Room, located on the first floor of building 100, at the C.W. Bill Young VA Medical Center. The festival will run from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. with the opening ceremony starting at 11:00 a.m.
Veterans Affairs (VA) medical facilities nationwide use the creative arts as one form of rehabilitative treatment to help Veterans recover from and cope with physical and emotional disabilities.
Veterans interested in competing must complete an application. Applications can be obtained by contacting Erin Todd, MT-BC or Jenny Campbell at 727-398-6661 extension 15884 or extension 12793. Participants interested in creating artwork, submitting a creative writing entry, or recording of a musical, acting, or dance performance should consider the following when entering the competition.
Artist - Artwork Reminders:
- All pieces must have been created AFTER April 1st, 2018.
- It is highly recommended that all paintings, drawings, photographs, graphics, collages, and digital art be framed in a way that enhances the piece; frames with glass must use PLEXIGLASS, not glass.
- Complete the art entry form with as much detail about medium or materials used as possible. This information is shared with the judges while they are scoring each entry
- Deadline for turning in all artwork is Friday, February 8th.
- Call coordinators to schedule an art drop appointment after January 15th.
Musicians, Actors, and Dancers - Recording Reminders:
- Entries must be video recorded for submission. Recording will be on Friday, January 11th in the JC Cobb, Building 100.
- Deadline for scheduling a performance recording is January 7th (required for all entries).
- Call coordinators to schedule a recording time as soon as possible.
- Creative Writers: recording of your piece is no longer required.
- Deadline for submitting creative writing entries is Friday, January 18th. Please call to coordinate submission of entries.
To schedule drop off of your artwork, creative writing entry, recording of performance or for any other questions, please contact Erin Todd MT-BC at 727-398-6661 extension 15884 or extension 12793. For more information about categories and rules, please visit: www.creativeartsfestival.va.gov.
About the Bay Pines VA Healthcare System: The Bay Pines VAHCS is one of the nation’s leading VA healthcare systems, employing more than 4,000 medical professionals and support staff dedicated to providing the very best care to Veterans residing in southwest Florida. The organization is the fifth busiest VA health care system in the country in terms of patients served and is accredited by The Joint Commission, Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities, and several other nationally recognized accrediting organizations. The Bay Pines VAHCS operates nine facilities to include the main medical center located in Bay Pines and outpatient clinics located in Bradenton, Cape Coral, Naples, Palm Harbor, Port Charlotte, Sarasota, St. Petersburg, and Sebring. To learn more, please visit www.baypines.va.gov, like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/vabaypines, or follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/vabaypines.