Bay Pines VA Healthcare System
Social Work Services
MISSION: The mission of VA Social Work is to maximize health and well-being, through the use of psychosocial interventions for Veterans, Families and Caregivers.
VISION: VA Social Workers embody leadership by developing and maintaining integrated quality programs in patient centered care, informed and evidence based practices, community partnerships, research, education, health promotion and disease prevention.
VALUES: VA Social Workers are advocates for the optimal health and well-being of Veterans, Families and Caregivers.
Welcome to Social Work Service
Social work service is an important part of the Bay Pines VA Healthcare System supporting its mission, vision, and values by providing professional social work services. The goal of social work is to help Veterans function at the highest level in the community, promoting their health and well-being, strengthening family relationships, and restoring individuals. Social work service is responsible for helping patients and families to cope with the crisis of an illness. Social workers provide care through the admission, evaluation, treatment and follow-up process.
Each social worker in the Bay Pines Healthcare System has a Master's Degree in Social Work (MSW). All social workers are expected to have a license as a clinical social worker. In addition, many have earned membership in the Academy of Certified Social Workers (ACSW) administered by the National Association of Social Workers.
Social workers also provide clinical supervision to social work graduate interns who are pursuing their Master's Degree or clinical licensure, and who are learning how to be good social workers. Social work interns are closely supervised by one or more of our licensed staff social workers. Bay Pines maintains academic ties with University of South Florida, Florida State University, Florida Gulf Coast University, and University of Southern California.
- Are available to assist with a wide variety of patient care and treatment concerns. Social Workers are involved in providing assistance in medical services, in psychiatric treatment, in research and policy planning, and throughout the VA system.
- Place special attention on the emotional and social effects involved when coping with illness.
- Work with the patient, the family and the treatment team
- Assess problems, and develop individualized treatment plans.
- Have the primary responsibility for discharge planning.
Social Work Service Involvement
- Mental Health
- Homeless Programs
- PTSD (Stress Treatment Program/Military Sexual Trauma/SPIR)
- Geriatric Social Work
- Blind Rehab Out-patient (VIST/BROS)
- Fisher House
C.W. Bill Young VA Medical Center
- 727-398-6661 Ext. 10770
Hours of Operation
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
After hours contact the Administrator on Duty, AOD at 727-398-6661 ext. 0