Bay Pines VA Healthcare System
Social Work Services
Social Work Service is an integral part of the Bay Pines VA Healthcare System supporting its mission, vision, and values through the provision of professional Social Work. The goal of social work is to help Veterans function to the highest level in the community, promoting their health and well being, strengthening family relationships and restoring individuals. Social Work Service is responsible for helping patients and families cope with the crisis of an illness by ensuring continuity of care through the admission, evaluation, treatment and follow-up processes.
Each social worker in the Bay Pines Healthcare System has a Master's Degree in Social Work (MSW). All social workers are expected to have a license as a clinical social worker. In addition, many have earned membership in the Academy of Certified Social Workers (ACSW) administered by the National Association of Social Workers.
Social workers also provide clinical supervision to social work graduate interns who are pursuing their Master's Degree or clinical licensure, and who are learning how to be good social workers. Social work interns are closely supervised by one or more of our licensed staff social workers. Bay Pines maintains academic ties with University of South Florida, Florida State University, Florida Gulf Coast University, and University of Southern California.
- Are available to assist with a wide variety of patient care and treatment concerns. Social Workers are involved in providing assistance in medical services, in psychiatric treatment, in research and policy planning, and throughout the VA system.
- Place special attention on the emotional and social effects involved when coping with illness.
- Work with the patient, the family and the treatment team
- Assess problems, and develop individualized treatment plans.
- Have the primary responsibility for discharge planning.
Social Work Service Involvement
- Mental Health
- Homeless Programs
- PTSD (Stress Treatment Program/Military Sexual Trauma/SPIR)
- Geriatric Social Work
- Blind Rehab Out-patient (VIST/BROS)
- Fisher House
C.W. Bill Young VA Medical Center
BLDG T205, Room 16
- 727-398-6661 Ext. 10770
Hours of Operation
- 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.