Bay Pines VA Invites Community to “SALUTE VETERANS”
February 9, 2012
Print Version (MS Word)
Bay Pines, FL - The Bay Pines VA is celebrating National Salute to Veterans Week February 13 through 18 with various activities designed to show Veterans our appreciation for their service to America. Some of the events (noted below) are open for the public to attend and/or media to cover. Media outlets should contact Faith Belcher in advance of attending.
National Salute to Veterans Schedule of Events:
- February 14: Various Veterans Service Organizations will be distributing gifts and cards to Veterans who are inpatients at the Bay Pines VA Medical Center
- February 15: A disc jockey will be entertaining Veterans in our plaza along with distribution of candy (donated by Military Ministry of Nokomis) and popcorn (donated by Boy Scouts of America)
- February 16: Our annual local Veterans Creative Arts Festival will be held in the hospital, JC Cobb room, from 8:30 am till 3:00 pm. Visual arts, crafts, dance, drama, creative writing, and music entries will be judged. This Arts Festival is open to the public to attend and available for media coverage.
- Also on February 16, representatives from the 40 & 8 (invitation only, honor organization comprised of U.S. Veterans) will visit with Veterans.
- February 17: St. Pete College students will be visiting with hospitalized Veterans.
We welcome any group or individual to come on February 17 to visit with our Veterans. Coordinate your visit by calling VA Voluntary Service in advance at 727-398-9394.
- February 18: Macfarlane Park Middle School Violin Ensemble will be performing for Veterans in our Community Living Center. They will also stay to have lunch with our Vets.
"The National Salute to Veterans gives everyone a chance to let those who have given so much to our nation know that they are not forgotten," said VA Medical Center Interim Director, Kris Brown. "We hope that our visitors will also learn about the important roles that volunteers play in our health care team and perhaps pursue volunteer opportunities."
Citizens are invited to send Valentine’s Day cards and letters to Veterans. Address to "Dear Veteran" and mail to P.O. Box 5005 (135), Bay Pines, FL 33744. They will be distributed during the week’s activities. Individuals or groups wishing to visit with Veterans should call VA Voluntary Service at 727-398-9394.