Bay Pines VA Healthcare System
Bay Pines VA Hosting Stand Down
October 12, 2011
Bay Pines, FL – The Bay Pines VA Healthcare System is hosting a Stand Down for homeless Veterans and those at risk of becoming homeless.
October 22, 2011
9:00 am until 1:00 pm
Bay Pines VA Medical Center
10,000 Bay Pines, Blvd, FL
A Stand Down for homeless Vets is modeled after the Stand Down concept used during the Vietnam War to provide a safe retreat for units returning from combat operations. At secure base camp areas, troops were able to take care of personal hygiene, get clean uniforms, enjoy warm meals, receive medical care, mail and receive letters, and enjoy the camaraderie of friends in a safe environment. Stand Down afforded battle-weary soldiers the opportunity to renew their spirit, health and overall sense of well-being. That is the purpose of the Stand Down for homeless Veterans, an opportunity for some of our most at-risk Veterans to find the help that they need to get off the streets.
What will the event offer? A variety of community and VA services will be available to answer questions and help Vets in need.
- Information about a wide range of VA healthcare services including treatment options for women’s health, addiction, PTSD, mental health, and vocational rehabilitation
- Free Flu shots
- Dental screenings
- Community and VA housing programs
- Assistance with VA compensation and pension claims
- Employment and educational opportunities
- Local landlords will be onsite to discuss their properties and engage potential tenants
- Legal information and assistance
- Florida ID VAN
- ACCESS Florida
- Great music and free continental breakfast and lunch
- Lots of give-aways and door prizes (including four new bicycles with lights and locks)
Contact Us at: 727-398-6661
Edgar Solivan ext. 5594 or Carrie Meo-Omens ext. 4711