Pharmacy Residency Program
Pharmacists completing a residency training program at Bay Pines VA Healthcare System will be able to provide expert patient centered care in multiple practice environments. They will serve as a valuable member of the health care team in achieving optimal medication therapy. They will demonstrate skill in educating patients and health care professionals. The resident will gain experience in project management. They will be proficient in the medication use process and develop an understanding of the technology required to support this process. The resident will take ownership of their practice areas and responsibilities. They will commit to the profession of pharmacy and demonstrate leadership through a positive professional attitude.
- The applicant must possess a Doctor of Pharmacy Degree (PharmD) from an ACPE-accredited school or college.
- All residents will be required to successfully complete a state board examination prior to entering the program. Licensure may be through any U.S. State Board of Pharmacy. U.S. citizenship is required.
- The applicant must be registered with the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists' Matching Program.
- An on-site interview is required for all applicants.
- Minimum GPA: 3.0
- PGY-2 Applicants must have successfully completed a PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency
Requirements for Completion of Residency
All residents will be required to complete and participate in all of the following:
- Major project
- Clinical Staffing (weekend and evening hours)
- Medication Utilization Evaluation (MUE)
- Formal presentations
- BLS certification
- ACLS certification (optional)
- Participation in ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting
- Participation in Florida Residency Conference
- Rounding with healthcare professionals
- Practice based projects
- Adverse drug reaction reporting
- Medication therapy management
- Education of pharmacy students and healthcare professionals
- Pharmacokinetic consultations
- Participation in departmental and committee meetings
- Involvement in drug information services
- Orientation to Investigational Drug services
- Clinical intervention documentations
- Participation in pharmacy distribution services
- Involvement in the Tampa Bay residency forum
- Opportunities with Florida A & M University and University of Florida teaching certificate program
- Practice Management
- Drug Information
- Education and Training
- Medical Informatics
About the Program
This residency site agrees that no person at this site will solicit, accept, or use any ranking-related information from any residency applicant.