Bay Pines VA Healthcare System
Program Description and Goals / Objectives of Residency
The overall goal of the Bay Pines VA Health Care System Advanced Education in General Dentistry (AEGD) Residency Program is to provide the resident with experiences in general dentistry beyond the scope of the undergraduate dental school curriculum and to provide that dental care in a hospital setting.
The primary objectives of the residency include:
- Resident to serve as primary dental care provider for patients, providing multidisciplinary comprehensive oral health care, emergency treatment, and maintenance therapy. In doing so the resident will diagnose and treatment plan patients in a competent and compassionate manner without compromise to ethics or morals or eligibility. Treatment modalities to be used will include most dental specialty disciplines and will encourage using advanced treatment modalities leading to improving the resident’s competency, proficiency, and confidence.
- Resident to use sound clinical judgment, plan and provide multidisciplinary oral health care for a wide variety of patients including patients with special medical or physical needs.
- Resident to appreciate the relationship of oral disease to systemic medical health and disease. Manage the delivery of oral health care by applying concepts of patient and practice management and quality improvement that are responsive to a dynamic health care environment. Apply scientific principles to learning and oral health care. This includes using critical thinking, evidence or outcomes-based clinical decision-making, and technology-based information retrieval systems.
- Resident to appreciate the oral health needs of communities including the homeless veteran and to engage in community service such as Homeless Stand Downs.
- Resident to develop competency in the interaction with other health care providers, to include physicians, nurses, pharmacist, and others and to further develop competency in providing consultative information to those practitioners.
- Utilize the values of professional ethics, lifelong learning, patient centered care, adaptability, and acceptance of cultural diversity in professional practice.
The operational responsibility for the Advanced Education in General Dentistry Residency Program rests with the Residency Director, who is a full-time staff member. Clinical and didactic activities will occur at the Bay Pines VA HCS. When a resident is enrolled in clinical or didactic courses off-station, residents will be notified of the location prior to the start of the course, and objectives of the learning experience provided in writing. In compliance with the Bylaws of the Medical/Dental Staff, our Dental Residents are provided the same responsibilities & privileges as residents in all other medical specialties. Rules of resident supervision are very specific in overall VA policy.