Bay Pines VA Healthcare System

Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My HealtheVet badge
EBenefits Badge

Image Gallery

 
history of bay pines

building 1 under construction

postcard

nursing home

Building 1 during construction in 1932, looking southeast.  This postcard shows an aerial view sketch of the Bay Pines in "The Sunshine City."  The first Nursing Home Care Unit at Bay Pines was constructed in 1973. As the first VA nursing home designed as a separate building it was called "the first of its kind for the VA" and replicated at several other VA Medical Centers.  
building summaries

building 1 

diving bell sculpture 

building 2

The Churrigueresque façade on Building 1 emulates a church altar in structure, while incorporating several different types of columns and friezes, including one of the three branches of the military at the time of construction.  These low-relief sculptures of diving bells, found beneath upper-story windows on Building 1, are thought to be depictions of Tarpon Springs sponge divers.  The entrance to Building 2 is framed by two low-relief portrait sculptures of male youths, thought to be Gabriel the Archangel. 

building 11

building 20 viewed from 5th floor of building 100

building 37 

A present-day picture of Building 11. Now the VA police station, it was once the storehouse and on-site train station.  Although Building 20 was not one of the original buildings (completed in 1935), its tower remains a symbol of Bay Pines.  A present-day photo of Building 37, originally constructed in 1939 as an additional Domiciliary wing. 

nursing home

quonset huts 

building 100 

Architect’s sketch for the Nursing Home Care Unit addition in 1980, Building 101.  This picture shows the Quonset-style temporary building used for Personnel between World War II and the construction of the replacement hospital in 1983. Quonset-type buildings were also used for the library, engineering, a chapel, and other administrative offices.  Construction of Building 100, the replacement hospital, in 1982. 

building 100

lee county clinic

The replacement hospital, Building 100, brought much-needed expansion to Bay Pines. Bay Pines VAMC now serves approximately 78,000 veterans each year. An artist’s rendering of what the new Lee County Outpatient Clinic will look like. Replacing the Fort Myers Outpatient Clinic, the new Lee County building will be the first time Bay Pines has owned instead of leased an outpatient clinic building.   
bay pines and the community

newspaper article

don ce-sar resort

This May 27, 1931 headline in the St. Petersburg Times demonstrates the importance of the Soldiers' Home to the citizens of St. Petersburg.   Opened in January 1928 as a luxury resort on Pass-a-Grille, the "Pink Lady" fell into disrepair after owner Thomas Rowe’s death in 1940. The U. S. Army bought the hotel during World War II for use as a military hospital (1942), then U. S. Air Force convalescent center (1942). In 1945, the Veterans Administration Regional Office moved here to increase space for patients at Bay Pines. It remained the Regional Office until 1967, when the Regional Office was moved to downtown St. Petersburg. 
additional images

beach property

buidling 1 under construction

chapel 

In 1934, $15,000 was appropriated for the construction of a hydrotherapy pavilion on the stretch of Madeira Beach belonging to Bay Pines. Later this land would be given to the Board of Public Instruction of Pinellas County for the construction of Madeira Beach School.

Constructing the main entrance for the west wing of Building 1 in 1932.

Between World War II and completion of the replacement hospital in 1983, Quonset-type temporary buildings were used to house offices, the library, engineering, and - as shown in this picture - the Protestant Chapel. 

building 1

building 1 

officers quarters

Both wings of Building 1 shortly after construction was completed. Note that landscaping has yet to begin. 

The façade of the main entrance to Building 1 East after landscaping and construction have been completed. Note the Mediterranean and Baroque details. 

When the Soldiers' Home was first constructed at Seminole Point, there was scarcely any development without having to travel into St. Petersburg proper, so on-site living quarters were provided for all employees. This photo shows five Officers Quarters. 

laundry 

postcard

train station 

The Laundry building, Building 13, was one of the earliest completed at Bay Pines. This photo shows the interior where the entire facility’s laundry was taken. 

This postcard shows an aerial view sketch of the Bay Pines in "The Sunshine City."

A photo of the old Bay Pines stop (at 100th Avenue, not Building 11), which ran its last regularly scheduled passenger train in 1968. 

building 20 

hospital beds 

medical equipment 

When the first set of buildings was completed and the Soldiers' Home opened in 1933, one of the first construction priorities was still to build a Recreation Hall, Building 20, completed in 1935. Now housing the Post Office and administrative offices, the building’s tower can be found on logos and signs throughout the history of Bay Pines.  Hospital beds in 1933.  Medical equipment from 1933. 

xray room with an operator

building 24 facade 

building 35 

The x-ray room in the early 1980’s. The Building 24 entrance incorporates an iron trellis, columns, purple and green low-relief sculpting, and, at the top, a screaming head thought to be either Jesus Christ or Saint Peter. A present-day photo of Building 35, formerly the fire station.
back to top