Women's Health Care Services
The Bay Pines Comprehensive Women’s Clinic offers a full range of preventive care and treatment services for women of all ages. Women Veterans who live near the Bay Pines campus are assigned to a physician in the Women’s Clinic at the Bay Pines Medical Center. Their physician will provide for total care – everything from a complete history and physical examination, to preventive care, medications, and ongoing care for chronic conditions -- including gender-specific women’s exams (Pap test, pelvic examination, and breast exam) and mental health care.
The Lee County VA Healthcare Center provides for gender-specific examinations for their women Veterans’ through referral from primary care physicians to southwest Florida clinics as needed. The facility has space designated just for women Veterans’ healthcare.
VA Community Outpatient Clinics also provide primary care services for both men and women Veterans. When gender specific women’s examinations are not available, patients are referred to Bay Pines or Fort Myers for their care.
Healthcare services for women Veterans are available for inpatients and outpatients.
- If a hospital admission is needed, women can be admitted for medical, surgical, or mental health inpatient services at Bay Pines.
- Woman who need long term care or home health services can access them through a referral from their VA provider to Geriatrics & Extended Care Service.
- If Bay Pines VAHCS does not provide the medically necessary service you need, our staff will work with you to find it in your local community. An example of this is maternity care services. These services are provided through a partnership with family practice physicians and obstetricians in the communities where you live.
Women's Primary Care Services
Exams and Services:
- History and physical, including pelvic and/or breast exams
- Family planning and contraceptives (or referrals for IUD or implantable contraceptives)
- Infertility evaluation and referrals
- Maternity care referrals
- Assessment for heart disease, high blood pressure and stroke risk
- Tobacco use cessation counseling
- Treatment for those with Military Sexual Trauma
- Help with readjustment from war zone experiences
- Menopause treatment including hormonal therapy if appropriate
- Vaccines, such as flu vaccine, HPV vaccine, tetanus and other vaccines
- Social work referrals for financial or placement/housing issues
- Education about your medications
- Referrals for other services as needed
- Counseling for PTSD
- High blood pressure
- Breast cancer or fibrocystic disease - Mammograms
- Cervical cancer - Pap test
- Colorectal cancer
- High cholesterol
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Nutrition and dietary needs
- Psychosocial issues that impact your health